AboutcuteNews is a user-friendly RSS news and podcast aggregator for Maemo5 and GNU/Linux desktop.
Features of cuteNews include:
- Choice of URL, local file, custom command or plugin for subscription sources.
- Search articles using keywords or SQLite WHERE query.
- Option to save articles as favourites.
- Option to automatically download enclosures.
- Option to add custom URL openers for handling links and enclosures.
- Web interface with choice of desktop, tablet and mobile themes.
- Choice of 'Touch' or 'OSSO' user interface (Maemo5).
- Choice of 'Dark on light' or 'Light on dark' reading modes (Maemo5).
Using custom commands for subscription sourceThe only requirement for a custom command is that it must output a valid RSS feed response to STDOUT, for example:
wget -q http://talk.maemo.org/external?type=RSS2 -O -
Custom URL openersCustom URL openers can be managed either in the application, or by manually creating/editing the config file located at ~/.config/cuteNews/urlopeners. Each URL opener has a display name, a regular expression (used to match the activated URL) and a command that will be executed when a URL is activated:
[My MP3 handler]
Now, any link to an MP3 file will be opened using the specified command.